Yesterday we went on the People’s Assembly’s Anti-Austerity March in London. 7 coaches from central Manchester and a further 6 from the surrounding Greater Manchester Area travelled, and we brought our own group of 7 Mancunians, 1 Bristolian and a Prestatyn protester. The day started for us at 8am on the Friday when we put in a massive 16 hours to make our banner, with a few cock ups along the way, and a marathon 5 hour ironing session. On the day itself we rose at 5am and were on our way by half 6 to get to London and find a massive group of people ready to share in the solidarity and camaraderie of standing up to the Victorian principle’s the Tories project from their self interested policies of division, self-centred protection, fear and inequality. Estimating the numbers was akin to trying to guess the number of sweets in a jar, but where the jar is London and the sweets number anywhere between 100,000 and 250,000.
All in all it gave a real sense of how the supposed mandate of government that garnered only 24% of the vote really could come unravelled as the other 76% bring themselves together to show their dissatisfaction. Dissatisfaction with a system that denies people proper representation and a party that relies on manipulation of a broken system and principles of selfishness and fear mongering disguised as what is “best” for people, by using the inequality of wealth to their advantage, in cahoots with a set of power brokering media outlets all based around provoking values that are of no use to society, and only of use for those who have the power to solidify and increase their grip on the reins.
The brilliance of a march like this is that you can come and see the momentum that is gathering, and that the mainstream media don’t recognise, for yourself and realise that there is a hope when the peak of Conservative power can still only gain them 24% of the public’s vote. Mass movements through out history have led to changes for the better of people as a whole through the break down of power and recognition of all groups rights to a share in our society that we all live in together. The real power of a march or gathering is that it helps you to realise that you are one among the many, not the few that the media tries to bring attention to by focusing on the more sensationalist aspects of protests (such as the 20 or so people wearing black hoodies and masks). Please share any photos you see of the march to raise awareness and most importantly make sure you try and come to the next one, either next year for the meeting in London or come to the Tory Party conference in Manchester between the 4th and 7th October to show your dissatisfaction, you won’t regret it. (You can find out more about the People’s Assembly by using this link : http://www.thepeoplesassembly.org.uk/manchester )